Senior executive successful at providing strategic direction and leadership in both the private and public sector. Combines financial expertise in business development and process redesign with strong technical qualifications in engineering, software development, and capital projects. Skilled at recognizing opportunities and converting concepts into practice, capable of forming productive cross-enterprise alliances. Effective decision maker with a record of creating successful products and partnerships and leading high performance teams.
- Engineering design and analysis
- Project management
- Regulatory compliance
- Capital expenditure analysis and planning
- Strategic planning and positioning
- Organizational governance
- Founded two clean technology companies (IBC Technologies in 1994 and Pfeiffer Technologies in 2003) and managed several others.
- Developed high efficiency, modulating, gas-fired boiler. This product won design and energy efficiency awards from Canadian Institute of Energy and NRC.
- Developed fuel controller for large stationary engines that enabled significant reductions in exhaust emissions. This product became a dominant factor in the US market for retro-fit engine controls.
- Developed plug-and-play replacement flat panel displays for B767 and A320 flight training devices. These products enabled Air Canada to continue to operate flight simulators for which original CRT displays were no longer available.
- Responsible for development and certification (CE, TUV) of breath alcohol testing machine suited for installation in restaurants and bars. Patent applications for software algorithms for characterizing cyclic, time-dependent sensor behaviour.
- Developed and EPA-certified first natural gas retro-fit system for heavy duty engines.
- Developed alternative fuel engine management systems and EPA-certified many propane and natural gas vehicles, creating largest supplier of such systems to the US market at the time.
- Responsible for development and certification (CSA, FCC) of industrial PC for use as a Human Machine Interface to a large generator-set.
HASTINGS AND PRINCE EDWARD DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD, Belleville, ON
- Superintendent of Business Services 2016–present
- Controller of Facility Services 2014-16
- Manager of Operations and Maintenance 2011-14
Responsible for operation/maintenance/construction of $500 million in facility assets and $50 million in capital projects. Additional responsibilities for setting and supervising a $200 million budget and overseeing the organization’s business services. Supervise 180 staff.
PFEIFFER TECHNOLOGIES INC., Abbotsford, BC
- President and Engineering Manager 2003-11
Founded company to design and manufacture certified electronic controls for energy and emissions management in the clean technology sector. Headed engineering team developing rugged electronics and real-time software systems. Managed day-to-day operations of company, including finance, facilities, staff, manufacturing, and sales. Selected management team and implemented quality, accounting, and manufacturing systems including enterprise resource management system linking accounting, sales, purchasing, manufacturing, and engineering. Developed and produced flight simulator avionics for Air Canada. Developed fuel controller for large stationary engines that enabled significant reductions in exhaust emissions. This clean energy product became a dominant factor in the US market and captured more than 30% of retrofit engine controls for the oil and gas industry. Grew company and then sold major product line to primary US customer.
TECHNOCARB EQUIPMENT LTD., Abbotsford, BC
- VP Engineering 1998-2003
Developed company business plan that led to structured growth of automotive equipment company by 500% annual revenue with facilities in Canada, US, and Mexico. Created successful teams in finance, engineering, manufacturing, and sales. Responsible for design, certification, and manufacturing of propane and natural gas fuel systems for vehicles. Led certification effort with EPA and worked with EPA to create simplified database certification procedures for small volume manufacturers. Managed day-to-day operations of company, including facilities, staff, finance, and manufacturing and served as Director. Represented company internationally (Europe, Australia, China, US, Mexico) and served on clean energy industry association and standards committees. Created company quality and documentation systems and certified company with US EPA as a manufacturer of fuel systems.
PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS OF ONTARIO, Toronto, ON
- Chair, Professional Standards Committee 2016-17
- Member of National Framework Task Force 2014-16
- Member of Professional Standards Committee 2012-present
- Chair, Safety Critical Software Subcommittee 2011-14
- Chapter Executive, Quinte Chapter of PEO 2011-12
- Member of Safety Critical Software Subcommittee 2010-14
Actively engaged as a volunteer since 2010.
QUINTE HEALTH CARE, Belleville, Ontario
- Member of Board of Directors (2010 – 2014)
Responsible for recommending fiscal and people resource policies, actions for allocation of resources, and providing oversight of financial performance for a regional hospital system comprised of 1900 physicians and staff with an annual budget of $180 million. Served on financial, strategic development, human resources, and governance committees. Chaired Governance Committee and was Board lead on risk management. Developed strategic initiatives as part of Strategic Plan Steering Committee that were implemented as tactical plans to improve quality, efficiency, accountability, and stakeholder engagement.
- PhD (Engineering Science), Simon Fraser University – 2009
- MASc (Electronics Engineering), Simon Fraser University – 2001
- BASc (Mechanical Engineering), University of British Columbia – 1988
- Canadian Council of Professional Engineers National Scholarship – 1999
- Outstanding R&D Award, Canadian Institute of Energy for IBC Technologies Inc. high efficiency, condensing boiler – 1996
- US Patent Application 11625244 “Angular Filters for Optical Tomography of Highly Scattering Media” – 2007
- US Patent Application 11605417 “Method and apparatus for determining alcohol content in a breath sample” – 2006
- US Design Patent D/262173 “Breath tester vending machine” – 2006
- Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
- Ontario Association of School Board Officials (OASBO)
- Operations, Maintenance, Construction Committee of OASBO
- American Society of Mechanical Engineering (ASME) – past member
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) – past member
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) – past member
- International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE) – past member
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of the Province of British Columbia (APEGBC) – past member
- Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA)
- Oak Hills Flying Club (OHFC)
- Bay of Quinte Yacht Club (BQYC)
- Pfeiffer, G. H. Chapman, and B. Kaminska, “Optical imaging of structures within highly scattering material using an incoherent beam and a spatial filter,” Proc. SPIE, vol. 7175, 756208, 2010.
- Tsui, G. H. Chapman, R. L. K. Cheng, G. Chiang, N. Pfeiffer, and B. Kaminska, “Spatiofrequency filters for imaging fluorescence in scattering media,” Proc. SPIE 7562, 75620B, 2010
- Tsui, G. H. Chapman, R. L. K. Cheng, N. Pfeiffer, B. Kaminska, and F. Vasefi, “Spatiofrequency filter in turbid medium enhanced by background scattered light subtraction from a deviated laser source,” Proc. SPIE, vol. 7175, pp. 71750A1-A12, 2009.
- Pfeiffer and G. H. Chapman, “Successive order, multiple scattering of two-term Henyey-Greenstein phase functions,” Opt. Express, vol. 16, pp. 13637-13642, 2008.
- Pfeiffer, P. K. Y. Chan, G. H. Chapman, F. Vasefi and B. Kaminska, “Optical imaging of structures within highly scattering material using a lens and aperture to form a spatiofrequency filter,” Proc. SPIE, vol. 6854, pp. 68541D1-D12, 2008.
- Vasefi, G. H. Chapman, P. K. Chan, B. Kaminska and N. Pfeiffer, “Enhanced angular domain optical imaging by background scattered light subtraction from a deviated laser source,” Proc. SPIE, vol. 6854, pp. 68541E1-E12, 2008.
- K. Y. Chan, F. Vasefi, G. H. Chapman, B. Kaminska, and N. Pfeiffer, “Angular domain optical tomography in scattering media with multispectral diode lasers,” Proc. SPIE, vol. 6435, pp. M1-M12, 2007.
- K. Y. Chan, F. Vasefi, G. H. Chapman, B. Kaminska, and N. Pfeiffer, “Multispectral angular domain optical tomography in scattering media with argon and diode laser sources,” Proc. SPIE, vol. 6435, pp. 64350M1-M12, 2007.
- Vasefi, P. K. Y. Chan, B. Kaminska, G. H. Chapman, and N. Pfeiffer, “An optical imaging technique using deep illumination in the angular domain,” IEEE J. Sel. Topics Quantum Electronics, vol.13, no.6, pp. 1610-1620, 2007.
- H. Chapman, J. Rao, T. Lui and N. Pfeiffer, “Enhanced Angular Domain Image in Turbid Medium using Gaussian Line Illumination”, Proc. SPIE Photonics West: Laser Interaction with Tissue and Cells XVII, v 6084, 60841D1-1D11, San Jose, CA, Jan. 2006.
- H. Chapman, P.K.Y. Chan, J. Dudas, J. Rao and N. Pfeiffer, “Angular Domain Image Detectability with Changing Turbid Medium Scattering Coefficients”, Proc. SPIE Photonics West: Laser Interaction with Tissue and Cells XVI, v, 5695, pg 160-171, San Jose, CA, Jan. 2005.
- Pfeiffer, and G.H. Chapman, “Monte Carlo Simulations of the Growth and Decay of Quasi-Ballistic Photon Fractions with Depth in an Isotropic Medium” ”, Proc. SPIE Photonics West: Laser Interaction with Tissue and Cells XVI, v, 5695, pg 136-147, San Jose, CA, Jan. 2005.
- Pfeiffer, B. Wai, and G.H. Chapman,” Angular Domain Imaging of phantom objects within highly scattering mediums” Proc. SPIE Photonics West: Laser Interaction with Tissue and Cells XV, v 5319, San Jose, CA pp. 135-145, San Jose, Jan. 2004
- H. Chapman, Member, IEEE, M. Trinh, N. Pfeiffer, G. Chu and D. Lee, “Angular Domain Imaging of Objects Within Highly Scattering Media Using Silicon Micromachined Collimating Arrays”, IEEE J. Special Topics on Quantum Electronics, v9, no. 2, 257-266 (2003).
- H. Chapman, M. Trinh, G. Chou, N. Pfeiffer and D. Lee, “Optical imaging objects within highly scattering material using Silicon Micromachined Collimating Arrays”, SPIE Photonics West, Optical Tomography and Spectrocopy of Tissue V, San Jose, (BIOS) v4955, pg 464-473, Jan. 2003.
- H. Chapman, N. Pfeiffer, W. Esser, “A Comparison of Microfabrication and Wakeshield’s processing Requirements”, Proceedings AIAA ISS Utilization 2001, 2001.
- H. Chapman N. Pfeiffer, J. S. Johnson, “Synergy of Combining Microfabrication Technologies in Orbit”, Proceedings Spacebound 2000, 2000.
- Pfeiffer, G.H. Chapman, “Silicon Wafer Transport in a High Vacuum, Microgravity Environment, Proceedings Spacebound 2000, 2000.
- S. Johnson, G.H. Chapman, N. Pfeiffer, “Economic Analysis of a Semiconductor Factory Satellite”, Proceedings AIAA Space 2000, 2000.